Saturday, December 11, 2010

Project two revised: "Dark Come Soon," by Tegan and Sara

Manweller 1

Caitlin Manweller

English Composition: Final Portfolio

Mrs. Tetterton

15 December 2010

“Dark Come Soon,” by Tegan and Sara, is a song about life, love, and loss. While the song may be interpreted in many ways, whether it is about a breakup or a more internal struggle, most would have to agree that it relates to pain, pride, and the attempt to run away from that pain and the people that love you.

The song starts with the lines “Dark you can’t come soon enough for me, saved from one more day of misery. Everything I love, get back for me now, everyone I love, I need you now.” These first lines are a brilliant depiction of the need to be relieved of the pain that the artists are subjected to. The artists use the word “dark” as a metaphor; it is easier to hide in the dark. Like the dark, the lyrics show a longing to hide the pain, and ultimately hide themselves in an attempt to be strong. Their loved ones are deemed to be necessary to get through their pain; however, admitting their need for help is the one thing that frightens them the most.

The song the goes on to say “So what I lied? I lied to me too…Hold out for the ones you know will love you. Hide out from the ones you know will love you too.” These lyrics better express the artist’s need for love, but also reveal their fear of love. I believe that by hiding pain, although it may make you feel better for a while, will eventually cause even more damage, and you will slip through the cracks again.

This song is relatable to me in many ways. I actually find myself very much like the artists when it comes to facing the problems in my life. While my issues are usually more internal than external, I usually deal with them in the same manner. I practice hiding or avoiding certain things, and depend on myself, when I really need the support of those around me. Simply put, I run from things. I too, am scared of love. I am scared of relying on other people.

This song probably relates to many people because of its honest depiction of the fear of losing control. It conveys truth and connects with people’s innermost doubts, thoughts, and feelings. Whether they are as much like the artists as I am is not known. However, everyone has experienced some pain in their lives, and have probably doubted whether or not to tell someone, or to let the people they love help them.

“Dark Come Soon” explores pain and the need for closure, for a resolution that always seems out of reach. It depicts the loss of oneself. It shows the need for help from the ones that you love, and that love you in return, but also a scared resistance to that love.

No comments:

Post a Comment